Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Little Fawn, don't be afraid!

From my office earlier in the summer, I could see a young fawn nestled in the grass 
sleeping out in the open unprotected. 



I was curious and watched for awhile and finally went down to investigate. I startled her eventually and she ran unfortunately into my garden fence and seemed very wobbly.


I was concerned that perhaps the mother had abandoned her. I called the Aark Wildlife Rehabilitation and Education Center for instructions and they informed me to keep a watchful eye out for her but not capture her at this time. If the fawn was abandoned she would quickly become dehydrated and decline quickly.

Another deer appeared within the hour and the fawn gleefully ran to it but was met with some unwelcome kicks. The fawn undeterred remained nearby nibbling on some grass.

I spied the next morning the fawn reunited with the mother eating 
happily some apples under the crabapple tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment