Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Not always a Star!

The Star of Bethlehem is a prolific, fast spreading perennial that grows from a bulb similar to onion grass but without the smell and has a beautiful white 6 pedaled star like flower.



It is all over my yard and looks beautiful blooming amongst the grass in the early spring but it is a nightmare in a mulched garden and very difficult to eliminate without herbicides.

In searching for creative ways to eliminate it, I was amused to see the mice move the Star of Bethlehem bulbs out of their pathways in the meadow over the winter in carefully organized rows.


At first I thought the mice were storing it and then after more thought, decided they were removing it as it is very poisonous. If only I could train the mice to help me over in the garden beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment